Wednesday 18 May 2011

Day 15 (15th May)

I worshipped at a Redeemed Church in the Estate which is situated close to my Mum’s place. The Church has moved forward since they were using a school venue for service and are now in a church building. It was their prayer Sunday and the sermon was short with more time spent on prayer. The major aspect of the prayer was thanking God for mercy drops and asking for showers of blessing.
We went to Ketu in the afternoon to sort out my father’s document and other stuff which has been kept in a room for the past 11 years. The place was full of dust. Unfortunately it has to be done. It’s been too long. We also needed some document for the estate, so no choice and it fell on me to make this happen. Sorting it out of the room was one thing, now cleaning and cataloging the items is stage two. There goes three days of my second week. It’s a good thing I spent last week resting.
I have realized that if I don’t do my reading, reflecting and writing first thing in the morning, once I go out that is it for the day. This place is too hot. I have not met my reading target but I’m hopeful that I will finish the book this week. I’m nearly at the end of the book. The major insight that made an impression on me throughout the book was that, walking with God requires us to Ask Him first in everything. After asking, we should wait and listen for His answer. I totally agree with this; however this does not come automatically, at least for me. Sometimes, I would have made a decision to do something before I remember I’ve did not even ask God if I should do it. When I have problem with people or something or a situation, it’s easier to ask God to sort it rather than ask Him what I should do. Even in our human relationship, I do not recollect asking God, how He wants me to relate with individuals (relationships are all different). Sometimes, we think we know our friends’ need and we pray accordingly. It can be obvious sometimes, but I bet most times we don’t stop to ask God what we should pray for our friends before we launch into specific prayers. This book ‘Walking with God’ has really affirmed my conviction that I need to do more in consciously referencing God by asking before I do.
The other major insight from the book for me was a deeper understanding on the healing power in the death and resurrection of Jesus. One of the projects I started working on some time ago was on the power in the death and the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Healing is one of this; ‘By His Stripes we are healed’. I got a more rounded view of the healing power. I hear in most preaching the physical healing aspect but actually when we are talking about healing power of the blood of Jesus, we should be making it holistic. It is not just physical healing, but emotional, psychological, mental everything. I feel there is too much focus on physical healing in our sermons. John Eldridge mentioned that we carry wounds deep in our soul that needs healing before we can be whole. We need to understand and be aware of these wounds before you could even begin to take the journey into healing through the power of the finished work of Christ on the cross. Some people had terrible childhood, the scars of which has not yet healed, some people has low self esteem due to years of mental abuse from their spouse, some people carry depression due to years of waiting (for a child, for jobs, for breakthrough etc); all these are wounds that need healing. We need preaching on total healing in our churches.
Anyway, this is not a sermon blog.
I was able to take some pictures now that my phone camera is sorted. Although, I’ve not been able to upload any pictures on my blog, I will get this on my facebook.
To God be praises, honour and adoration for a day well spent

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.