Tuesday 10 May 2011

Day 10 (10th May)

Woke up refreshed today, thanking God that He kept me alive. Mightily conscious of my reading targets, after my bible passage got stuck into getting through some pages of the book I started at the weekend. I managed to get to page 76 from 52, not bad. I took another trip to the bank, my own bank today and did not have too many unpleasant experiences.
I’m still surprised that the internet connection through Multilink Telkom is working ok. I was able to log and had a good conversation with my friend Ibukun in Canada. As usual, she was encouraging; yes and the first person to start following my blog.
I sneaked a look yesterday night on my work email, maybe not sneaked a look, I needed to get some personal email from UCB which I’ve not managed to changed. I responded to one official email on the interim cover for my post. Well, I have a vested interest after all; whoever covers for me can either make my return stress free or stressful. I would prefer the former! But, seriously, I need to wean myself off OGB.
I’m still fasting and trying to conserve energy. I decided to add variety to my reading and continue another book I started a few weeks ago in SA. Written by C.S. Lewis, it’s titled the Screwtape Letters. This is a series of letters written by Devil to his nephew Wormwood. It is a classic satire and really an eye opener on how the Devil and his demons operate to sabotage the Christian life. This book could only have been inspired by the God as it exposes the machination of the enemy. It is unbelievable the insight Lewis provided in how the enemy manipulates our mind, our prayer life, the circumstances around us and anything to take our focus from God. This book is a must read for those wanting to understand the enemy’s tricks in order to fight it victoriously.
This evening I went with my Mum to see my Aunt (Mum’s junior sister) in Isheri. She has just been discharged from the Hospital after an acute bout of Malaria. My Aunt is the youngest sibling from my grandmother’s side. I have noticed that siblings always have this soft spot for the youngest in the family and do they not know it! My youngest brother Gbolly is the same, bless him I love him to bits, not only because we share the same birth date with a 10 year difference but he is so cute. I remember when I used to clean his nappy (shuusssssssssh, he is now a married man!). Love my Aunt to bit as well. She, my mum and their elder sister (of blessed memory) were so gorgeous when they were younger. And still are. My mum at 73 is one of the strongest people I know.
I had to drive my mum and myself to Isheri. I do have a Nigerian driving license. Driving in Lagos, oh my word. Needless to say, I was driving sitting nearly glued to the steering wheel. You need all your senses and faculty on alert. Going was ok but coming back, chi my mantra of ‘loving your neighbor as yourself’ was nearly thrown out of the window. I need to start taking pictures, seriously. We took one hour for a distance that should have taken us about 10 mins. Thank God we made it without scratching the car and also managing to give some people the opportunity to get into my lane.
I can’t believe how viciously we talk to each other in 9ja. There is no love in our words or tone at all. I am amazed. Yet, we are a religious (?) nation. We are a nation that does not have love in our heart for anybody except our self. You get to see this everywhere. Yesterday, I had to borrow a pen from a lady at the bank, and the way she spoke to me with a loud conflict ridden tone, just to tell me ‘TO BE QUICK OH, AS SHE WILL BE LEAVING SOON’. I was sorely tempted to tell her to stick her pen except of course I needed a pen and I do not have one. I just smiled. We can’t talk to each other without shouting, there is no humility in our tone, and we are so full of suspicion. We Christian need to focus our prayers for God to instill in us a loving heart, a humble heart, for God to heal our heart that has been damaged by distrust, self interest and wickedness. Having good leaders is not the only solution if we the people are not healed from inside out.
We had a visitor from South Africa visit; he is here for his father’s burial which happened last Saturday. My mum was at home and I could hear her internally analyzing our friendship. Mothers!! Just want their children to be married and keep breeding. Well, this eligible bachelorette is a follower of Jesus, where He leads I follow. Enough said.
The girls are having a blast I presume. School is keeping all of them busy. I miss them. As the saying goes absence makes the heart grow fonder. Love them all, my beautiful Nubian beauties.
So far so good for day 10. I give God all the glory. Time out.

2 comments:

  1. Sister deola...Nice to read from you..Reality Sabatical in short..we will follow you every step of the way...
    The Lord will continue to strenghten you...ENJOY>>

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh... What a day well spent, so lovely to read from you, welcome to Nigeria a land that flows of honey and milk but the citizens never get the better advantage of it, resources are not distributed evenly. Too bad.
    What an experience driving to Iseri and at the bank, that's what here is notable for, I don't think a human government can change that, that is just a sign that Gods kingdom is at hand. Its just the fufilment of bible prophesy, "people will... lack narmal affection for their families." 2Timothy 3:1-3.
    You are so right, Nigeria is a religious country, but are those religious leaders preaching in harmony with the bible, sometimes I feel sorry cos the devil is seriously blindfolding peoples inner mind here, 2Corintians 4:4. Sometimes you see pastors, imam and priest, going against bible principles, many time I over heard and note their prayers and preaching over their loud speaker or on T.V, you need to see the way they. Cause their enemy, some ev en ask for "holy-ghost fire to consume or burn their enemies, is that what the bible really teach? Definitely the answer is no, critically analyse and study jesus words to his deciples at Mathew 5:43-48. The bible never encourage that act of theirs and yet they keep doing it week in week out. Religion are responsible for most of the un-humanly act. Don't be marvelled they are all fulfilment of bible prophesy, jesus christ for told. The sign of the last days in Mathew 24. And point it point out that of. False prophets in verse 11.
    You av spoken right when you say, "Having good leaders is not the only solution if we the people are not healed from inside out" yes that's so true, many died of minor illness cos of doctors and nurses un caring attitude, on sunday my friend lost his mum, she was diagnose for cancer, this young woman see it coming for 6months ago, she was referred to general hospital from a private hospital, doctors un-human attitude cos her her life, doctor resumes work late and attend to just few from the crowd who needs their attention, as if others are destined for death. Another story, a young Nigerian to take and accompany his mum abroad for medical treatment, with the assistance of some airline staff to help the woman on the wheel get on board, Nigerians are irritated and shouting of time wasting instead of helping out, too bad its a white man who turn out to give a helping hand.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.